The story of St Mark’s actually began well over 100 years ago. In 1871, a wooden building was erected on the current site, to house a mission church belonging to the parish of Grantchester. Some forty seven years later, St Mark’s – now enjoying more permanent, brick-built accommodation – finally became a separate parish.
Countless lives and events have contributed to the story of St Mark’s and its wider community over the past 100 years. This small exhibition will tell some of that story, and reflect on the many changes that have taken place over that time. Some things, of course, don’t change – as evidenced by this heartfelt offering from the parish magazine in 1910:
Year in, year out, all sorts and kinds
Of questions agitate us;
But none concern us more than this –
The Heating Apparatus
St Mark’s District Magazine, 1910
And there’s plenty more where that came from. Admission is free – so do come along!