Our August charity – CAMFED
CAMFED’s mission is to eradicate poverty through the education of girls and empowerment of young women.
CAMFED (Campaign for Female Education) was founded in 1993 by Ann Cotton, who lives in Newnham.
Starting with a cohort of 32 girls in Zimbabwe, the organisation has grown exponentially and is now also active in Zambia, Tanzania, Malawi and Ghana.
Now an internationally acclaimed charity, CAMFED has supported the education of 3.3 million girls.
To find out more about the work that CAMFED does, please take a look at the short video below.
About Charity of the Month at St Mark’s
Charity of the Month was created as a way of coming together as a church community to raise money for good causes. The scheme provides ongoing support to certain organisations, and each year members of the congregation are also invited to suggest charities that they would like to promote.
This year’s chosen causes
- January – Umoja UK
- February – Cambridge Churches Homeless Project
- March – Karen Morris Memorial Trust
- April – Christian Blind Mission
- May – The Diocese of Gombe
- June – Dementia Compass
- July – A Rocha – donations still open
- August – CAMFED – donate now
- September – Friends of the Holy Land
- October – The Diocese of Gombe
- November – Scotty’s Little Heroes
- December – Practical Action