Our May charity – Gombe Diocese
Over the past fifteen years, St Mark’s has faithfully supported Gombe diocese in Northern Nigeria. Gombe is one of the poorest areas in Nigeria, and an area much troubled by terrorism and corruption. Gifts from St Mark’s have helped the church in Gombe to equip simple schools, to run medical services and to train pastors for local leadership.
About Charity of the Month at St Mark’s
Charity of the Month was created as a way of coming together as a church community to raise money for good causes. The scheme provides ongoing support to certain organisations, and each year members of our congregation are also invited to suggest charities that they would like to promote.
This year’s chosen causes
- January – Cambridge Churches Homeless Project
- February – Cambridge City Food Bank Fuel-Help Scheme
- March – Institute of Family Therapy
- April – Macmillan Cancer Support – donations still open
- May – The Diocese of Gombe – donate now!
- June – Cambridge Money Advice Centre
- July – Umoja UK
- August – Centre 33
- September – Christian Aid
- October – The Diocese of Gombe
- November – Scotty’s Little Soldiers
- December – Embrace the Middle East