The church building
Our current church building was completed in 1901. It replaced a small wooden structure which had served the village of Newnham since 1870. At that time Newnham was quite separate from Cambridge, and St Mark’s a daughter church of St Andrew and St Mary, Grantchester. But the village was growing, and in 1918 Newnham became an independent parish.
In contrast to the long, stone-built Gothic churches of the era, St Mark’s was constructed with a mellow red brick, and without a rood screen separating the choir from the congregation. The original architect’s plan shows a narthex or entrance lobby, which was not built at the time owing to shortage of funds. A hundred years later, a centenary project raised funds for a narthex, porch and internal gallery in a modern but sympathetic style – all were dedicated in 2002.
The original organ, built in 1907, was recently rebuilt to a specification by Paul Hale, organist at Southwell Cathedral. It is now a fine instrument that perfectly matches the space of the building.
The War Memorial on the front lawn records the names of 51 servicemen who died in the First World War and 24 servicemen in the Second World War. More information about some of those commemorated.
St Mark’s has a beautiful, rural burial ground, which includes a memorial garden and wildflower meadow. The burial ground can be found on the south-east side of Barton Road, the A603, about 500 yards south west of junction 12 of the M11. It can be used for any resident of the parish, anyone with a strong connection to the parish, anyone who dies in the parish, or anyone else with special permission from the vicar, regardless of faith.